Saturday, May 10, 2014

Welcome

Your birth story:

40 weeks
We were ready for you to come!


Everything started with Spiderman. That's right, this guy right here
 You were going on 4 days overdue and I was getting very antsy. I was to the point where I bashfully pleaded with your dad to strip my membranes! I know its a little weird, but if we had a clogged toilet and he was a plumber, we would use his skills to fix it... same thing! I just wanted you here! He finally agreed to do it, but not until after going to see Spiderman 2. "I don't want you all uncomfortable and going into labor during the movie, it will ruin it," was a direct quote from your loving father, or maybe took it out of context? (hormones). Anyways, I agreed. We would go to the 9:15 show and then after he would strip my membranes. 

We went with a big group of friends that night, in fact, Stewart, the Nurse anesthetist who was on call at the hospital, was a part of the group (small town). During the movie, I started getting pretty uncomfortable. I was having pretty regular mild contractions. 

After the movie, Daddy kept his end of the deal and indeed stripped my membranes which was extremely painful! But if it was going to work I was OK with it. He also checked to see how dilated I was, I was a 2. It was after midnight, so off to bed we went. 


At about 2am, I started getting really uncomfortable. I was definitely having contractions and they were very painful. I decided to go into the living room and wait it out while rewatching episodes of Friday Night Lights. I was hoping Tim Riggins would distract me from the pain.

For two hours I was having contractions about every 4 minutes and they were getting pretty intense. I decided to go and get your dad and have him check me again to see if I was dilating and progressing. He checked me again, and I was at a 3, he said I was progressing pretty fast and he thought it was time to go to the hospital. I was ready! 

We called Tammy across the street to come and sleep on our couch for Avery and Brooklyn, and off we went! 

The car ride was pretty intense. Contractions were coming about every 2 minutes and lasting about 45 seconds.  We got to the hospital about 20 minutes later and they put me into a room and checked me again, and I was at a 6! You were coming fast! And I was ready for an epidural! Your dad wasn't sure if I would get one in time. They had to call Stewart (remember, the anesthetist we were at the movie's with earlier that night), get him out of bed and at the hospital. Luckily he lives close by and was there about 30 minutes later. He did his thing and I was at peace! It was wonderful. I could still feel the contractions, but it was very minor pain. 

Before epidural

During epidural

After epidural

He was kind of my hero

Oh... yeah... and so was he

At that point, Dr. Andrade arrived and checked me again, and I was at an 8. Almost there! Another hour went by and I was ready to push. Normally, I push about 3 times and the baby comes out, but you were a bit harder, I probably pushed for 25 minutes, the reason was because you decided you wanted to come into this world sunny side up! It was tougher than normal, but still I can't complain!


They got you out at 8:31am and you cried and cried and cried. It was beautiful! 

You had pooped in the womb, and so there was meconium everywhere, but we still thought you were beautiful, poop covered and everything! They took you away to do all the tests and measuring, and I think you were crying the whole time. Daddy followed you and was able to cut your cord. You weighed 7 pounds 8 ounces. Biggest baby so far! You also measured 19 inches long. Your head was a little cone shaped due to the coming out the wrong way, but other than that you had 10 fingers and 10 toes and were perfect!


  After you were all cleaned up, we decided to try to feed you. You latched right on like a pro and haven't had any problems since! We were lucky enough to have you all to ourselves for most of the morning and afternoon.


 Then we got visitors. 

The Burk's were the first to arrive. We played cards with them for a bit. Then they left and guess who came next? Grandma Tam and Grandpa Sid. They loved you and couldn't get enough. Then the next visitors were your crazy sisters. 

Brooklyn gasped when she saw you. They were so excited! They brought you binkies and head bands, and you gave them the movie "Frozen." (You brought it from my womb). Tammy and Grace were also there to see you. It was a good day. Then the Jolley's came and that's when the party really got started! We still hadn't decided on your name, so we took it to a vote with the Jolley's, your sisters and Grandma and Grandpa. The options were:
Lyla
Eleanor
Norah
Ellis
Isla

The winner was Isla... and that's what I was going to choose anyway.

Isla Jane Charles

 After everyone left, we snuggled. But the night wasn't the best way to start! The nurses were crazy busy with tons of deliveries, so we had you in our room the whole night, and you were not very happy. Daddy and I had to switch off holding you the whole night, so we were pretty tired! Its alright because you are so cute.






The next day we were discharged and able to come home. 

Now we are a family of 5! It was a crazy 36 hours. I'm so happy I was able to have the experience of going into labor naturally, it really was like the movies! Also I'm so happy I had a makeshift husband/doctor. 

We are so happy you are here and healthy. We love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment